Thursday, May 05, 2005

London

No not London, England. London, Ontario, one of the two cities where I would claim to live.

TV Ontario (a publicly funded TV station here in Ontario - I will have much more to say to continue my thoughts on how people subsidize my tastes) is running a short feature on the movie 'Crash' being released this week. It looks very interesting; I rarely see a movie in a movie theatre, and this tempts me - perhaps to the point of displacing my plan to see 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' on Saturday.

The writer-director, Paul Haggis, is from London, Ontario. He wrote the screenplay for 'Million Dollar Baby'. He says he went to Hollywood because the plays he put on in London were disasters, received terrible reviews, and he could see no other way out of his problems than to go to LA, send a screenplay he wanted to act in to Clint Eastwood, and hope for some redemption. He did not get the role he wanted in 'Million Dollar Baby' but other rewards ensued.

I think this says a lot about the world.

Do not get me wrong about London. Kate Nelligan, as I understand, comes from there (I am in Toronto now, or it would be 'here'). And Michelle Wright from not far away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home