Monday, August 15, 2005

A Deeper Reading of "She's so High"

I mentioned listening to Tal and Randy Bachman on the CBC (which because of a lockout is now broadcasting very odd material) and hearing the song "She's so High", which struck me as quite an entertaining pop song. In the chorus, the song lists three exemplars of women who were also "so high" and something struck me as odd. The list was "Cleopatra, Joan of Arc, Aphrodite".
My mind said to itself, "Joan of Arc?". I would not compare Joan of Arc to the coolest girl in high school - I suspect she was more of a nerd.
But then I realized there was something else at work - a deeper meaning. The list covers three main areas of power, with Cleopatra representing the power of the state (political power), Aphrodite the power of love/beauty (sexual power), and Joan of Arc spiritual power. Surely that is it.
I leave it to the reader as an exercise to go find the lyrics of the song on the Internet and the deeper links to these three domains in the rest of the lyrics.
I do know that if it comes on my radio in the next while (quite likely if I keep listening to CBC Radio One, which just seems to be putting CDs on and going away for a while) I will turn the volume up and the car will start going faster all by itself.

1 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger rondi adamson said...

I quite enjoy that song.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home