Monday, March 06, 2006

Fifty Years Late

I have frequently joked that I wish the capabilities today with the Internet had been available 45 years ago when I was 12. I was a math/science nerd, so have one specific meaning when I say that.

But now there is another element. Norm Geras' blog has done me the enormous kindness of exposing me to the wonderful Sophie Hannah. He exposes these two lovely poems, both of which made me laugh with delight. In the second, I just loved the line "unfairly by the words we choose". Perfect and mordant wit.

She has a few other poems at PoemHunter and they are terrific. I know I will be going out of my way to expose myself to her work in the future. (Check out the poem about baths in Leeds, which is about hope, determination, and not quitting - it is just great!)

Thanks, Sophie. Thanks, Norm. Thanks, Internet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home