Sunday, May 28, 2006

Rarely have I spent a Dollar better

For no obvious reason today, I spent the dollar needed to buy a Sunday Toronto Star. If today is any hint, I may have to keep doing this. To be frank, I am stunned.
So what was in it that was so worthwhile?
a) It is always fun to read the Sunday square-off between Linda McQuaig and Rondi Adamson, though this week's topic baffled me. On the other hand, I could have said exactly what she (Rondi) said in many places.
b) I have been struggling with what to read on the airplane and during my upcoming time away. I have solved the airplane (see a later post). And The Star helped me solve Paris. Two years ago, before my last trip to France, I decided to read Michael Houellebecq's Les Particules Elementaires and must say I had a wonderful mix between horror and amazed delight as he decomposed large parts of the world. I never could articulate exactly what I felt as I read this book with a rapt and grim fascination. But in today's Star, Michael Basilieres, reviewing Houellebecq's more recent The Possibility of an Island, articulates all that I recall feeling. So Day One in Paris has the project of buying this book.
c) An entertaining bit of history, and a fascinating analysis of traffic.
d) Perhaps best of all, a full-page feature on Natalie Gulbis!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home