Thursday, December 07, 2006

Canada and Gay Marriage

We have a brilliant and decent Prime Minister. However our next election comes out, I think I will be able to say the same (and I assume that neither the NDP nor the Bloc can win - I do not think I would use either adjective for their leaders).
He had a terrible problem to deal with inside his party, a mix of different positions, but a social conservative one that needed to express itself. And get one issue resolved.
I watched last night's debate on re-opening our gay marriage law.
Let me say a couple of things. I do not 'get' the issue between a civil union or pact and actual simple marriage - there is NO operational difference.
I am even more delighted, though, to observe that this is where the argument is; even those struggling to reverse our current laws now can only offer civil union as an alternative to the current law. And as I said, as this is operationally identical to the current state of things, what is the point?
And I know what the point is - and this is hard, as I can imagine the pain of those who remain invested with the revulsion for homosexuality. I do not respect it but I can imagine it. As I can recall a revulsion in many for blacks, or a distaste for French-Canadians.
But our Parliamentary debate was such an eloquent rejection of those feelings that I think the overall debate was an honour to our country.

1 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger David Wozney said...

Current laws in Canada, laws in Canada's constitution, have not been followed since 1901 when Queen Victoria died, so why start now with laws in Canada concerning the definition of marriage?

Queen Victoria died on January 22, 1901.

The next day, on January 23, 1901, Section 9 of the British North America Act, 1867, now called the Constitution Act, 1867, still stated: "The Executive Government and Authority of and over Canada is hereby declared to continue and be vested in the Queen".

On January 23, 1901, Section 17 still stated: "There shall be One Parliament for Canada, consisting of the Queen, an Upper House styled the Senate, and the House of Commons".

On January 23, 1901, Section 91 still stated: "It shall be lawful for the Queen, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate and House of Commons, to make Laws for the Peace, Order, and good Government of Canada, in relation to all Matters not coming within the Classes of Subjects by this Act assigned exclusively to the Legislatures of the Provinces; ...".

What was the name of Canada’s constitutional Queen regnant who had executive government and authority of and over Canada after the reign of Queen Victoria and before the reign of Queen Elizabeth II?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home