Sunday, April 01, 2007

I'm Like a Bird

Watching the Junos, enjoying Tragically Hip, but wondering about much of what has been made of Nelly Furtado. There was a phase in my life when I was watching Latino video shows (honestly, to learn Spanish to a degree), and her work with Juanes was incredible.
I have a minimal notion what she does today. And I doubt I will care again. (Except for the odd role in a TV series - she was good in the CSI:X she was in.)
But what I find odd from many is this nostalgia for "I'm Like a Bird". Were stupider lyrics ever written? Whoever wrote it never bothered to watch birds seriously. They DO know where they are going. Only someone very inattentive could think otherwise. But it sounds slick.
Just as Nelly Furtado knew where she was going. And she continues to work her way there.

UPDATE: They have her performing now. The diction is unbelievably bad. This is no Karen Carpenter. I invite commenters to tell me why I should bother listening to her again.

UPDATE 2: Dear God, please bring back Frank Sinatra. Don't get me wrong, I know this is not my generation, but hey, lots of younger generation people produce something worth listening to. This 'Maneater' stuff was not there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home