Monday, May 07, 2007

Rufus Wainright tired of America

Norm points this morning to a number of versions of "Going to a Town" on YouTube and an analysis of the music and lyrics that is a little contentious. The analysis rightly points out that his apparent targeting of Christianity as a problem:
Do you really think you go to hell for having love?

shows a lack of perspective in the broader world. But to be fair to him, HIS world is North America, and there is a stark contrast between current Canadian orthodoxy on what matters to him, and the struggle going on regarding this same subject in the US. And he is surely somewhat divided with one parent from each of the countries, and also surely dependent on the US market for his commercial (relative) success..

I recall the minute I first heard his song "Oh What a World". I was driving and it was one of those dangerous moments when the driver busts out laughing helplessly. A song that starts "Men reading fashion magazines ..." to that strangely grinding bass line. And it had almost my favourite short lyric from any song, which is both very specific to his world, and so wonderfully universal:
Oh what a world my parents gave me.

For those sharing concerns about homophobia in America, they might observe that the cut below was surely done in the US. I just love his outfit, and those of the backup singers. I suspect it would be a lot of fun to attend one of his concerts.




My favourite YouTube comment was:

Ravel must have been thinking: "A gay man in a blue leisure suit smoking a cigarette while wearing a cape and a witches hat... and I'll call it... 'Bolero'"!



Hmm, after my recent experiences, must go find his "Tulsa" to listen to.

UPDATE: I think I will get to find out about how much fun one of his shows is. Just bought a ticket for June 12 at the Danforth Music Hall down the street from me. I suspect this will be very memorable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home