Wednesday, July 09, 2008

US Election as Entertainment

The last couple were a lot of fun, and this one promises to be as good as its predecessors.

The Republican candidate appears to be determinedly lining up behind idiotic economic policies.

The Democrat looks as if he has better economic advisers, but he just is so full of himself he cannot stop saying really dumb things.

So he spoke out on language learning recently and produced what I would call some howlers.

Now, I agree that immigrants should learn English. I agree with that. But understand this. Instead of worrying about whether immigrants can learn English -- they'll learn English -- you need to make sure your child can speak Spanish. You should be thinking about, how can your child become bilingual.


The justification?

You know, it's embarrassing when Europeans come over here, they all speak English, they speak French, they speak German. And then we go over to Europe, and all we can say [is], "Merci beaucoup." Right?


The sheer self-satisfied stupidity of this is beyond my ability to grasp.

Note that his translation of having your child become bilingual is to have the child learn Spanish. Huh? And his example of what little we know is French? So look, I have really been pleased about my second (and third and fourth etc) language learning. But heavens, this is largely an enjoyable luxury.

And then on to the canards. I have had Europeans visit me - they are my in-laws. They do not speak English worth anything! Moreover, I am freshly back from a trip in Europe where I became a resource because I could speak German - the myth that all the Euros could speak English was a disaster for many people. And that was in Germany.

Obama recommends Spanish! If you want to find a European country full of people with ZERO foreign-language skills, go to Spain! Even Latin Americans are largely useless trying to speak English, at least in my experience. French and Germans are WAY better, and they are not so great either. Only someone who has simply not tried to learn the other language could be impressed by the normal skills in English of those on the European continent.

I will except Norwegians - who stunned me during the time I was there. They utterly justified my decision to put NO time into learning any Norwegian before visiting Oslo. But they are the utter exception on the continent.

I wonder which other languages Obama has mastered. My guess is none, though here is a suggestion otherwise. Another case of big talk, no content. There will be many more.

We have months ahead of us! And I thought Canada was silly!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home