Friday, September 11, 2009

Sept. 11, 2001

Eight years ago I was engaged in the official opening of the new site of the development organization ("Lab") I worked in; my task was to walk visitors through some interesting explanations of why what we did then was interesting.
Festivities were to begin around 10 am.
Much earlier than that someone told me a plane had flown into one of the World Trade Towers. This seemed entertaining if unimportant, as planes had flown into NY highrises before. Little did we know.
Needless to say the day did not go well. My multinational had many execs visiting, many of whom had close ties to people in the World Trade Towers.
That day removed from me any of the still fashionable anti-Western views I had. Until late in the day I refused to accept the reality of what had happened; amusingly, a bartender (who was also a pilot in training) was able to explain the utter feasibility of jerk-balls flying large jets into skyscrapers.
And that is what happened.
This is of course surely another day that will live in infamy.
Rondi has an excellent picture on her site.

1 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger rondi adamson said...

Unfortunately, the day calcified the fashionable anti-Western views of other people in our family!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home