Saturday, November 07, 2009

Sounds Like Time to Apologize to Cuba

After all, they have such a benign government.  Beloved, after all, of the political philosopher Sean Penn, and also by our great Pierre Elliot Trudeau in his time.  Yoani Sanchez and blogging colleagues in Cuba are beaten and threatened.  Why am I not surprised?  Thugs, after all, behave thuggishly.

UPDATE:  Yoani reports on the experience.
How am I going to tell him that we live in a country where this can happen, how will I look at him and tell him that his mother, for writing a blog and putting her opinions in kilobytes, has been beaten up on a public street. How to describe the despotic faces of those who forced us into that car, their enjoyment that I could see as they beat us, their lifting my skirt as they dragged me half naked to the car.
I managed to see, however, the degree of fright of our assailants, the fear of the new, of what they cannot destroy because they don’t understand, the blustering terror of he who knows that his days are numbered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home