Wednesday, July 14, 2010

That Is What I Would Miss Too

Norm reflects on what it would mean if he were cut off from reading. I can only agree enormously!
But if I were cut off from reading for a longer period, especially indefinitely, what I would miss is the pleasure of entering other worlds during chunks of my day: being immersed in these other places and/or times and in the inner and outer realities lived by others, their thoughts and feelings, their interactions. Escape? No, that's a pejorative way of putting a perfectly healthy impulse - wanting to be a party, if only vicariously, to the varieties of human experience. One can get the same thing, it might be said, through film, and that's true to an extent. But in reading it has a different kind of depth and a certain 'privacy' (for want of a better word). So it seems to me anyway. Something like that is what I'd miss.
As the title of his post says, "Missing worlds".

1 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Blogger Claude said...

I'm an old, old lady born French Canadian, in Montreal, now living in Toronto. Have been to many places. I learned English by immersion, at the age of 24, so I could read Byron, Shelley, Shakespeare in the original language. Of course, I've read a lot more writers since. Sometimes I truly believe that some books have been written just for me. They speak to my heart, to my mind and my soul. So much that I feel I know very well the person who wrote them. Would I meet him/her, I would say, "You opened a world I needed to know. Merci de tout coeur." Actually, I have often written a word of appreciation to my writers. And they have kindly answered. I couldn't be without books. It would be like losing people I still have to know in order to survive. As essential as bread and water. And many of them offer butter for the bread, and a glass of French wine to salute the meeting day.

To your good health, Sir!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home