Thursday, May 05, 2005

Watching the UK Election Results

It is hard to imagine the privileges of our lives today in the West. I keep thinking, as I exploit the Internet, if only this had been here when I was twelve. I am long past that.
But it is no reason not to enjoy all the capabilities new technologies bring; and one is to watch the British election results come in on BBC World. It is actually stunning what poor theatre the home of Shakespeare offers.
I was in the UK, even England, for the US Elections, and it was a delight to watch those from that perspective, though very destructive of sleep that night. This was sleep happily sacrificed for the Schadenfreude of watching the locals adjust to Bush's win.
And now, it seems, I may lose as much sleep getting the results in the UK, while I am now 5 hours ahead of the count, rather than 5 hours behind! For show I think I prefer our (North American) reporting procedures to what appears to prevail in the UK.

UPDATE: Labor 153, Con 17 LD 13
Reporters seem to think things are looking bad for Blair.

UPDATE: Earlier this evening the CBC reported on this before any results were known and the reportress focussed mostly on the question of when Blair would step down because of the repudiation this election expressed. Of course Blair's commitment to liberate Iraqis of Saddam Hussein is the reason the voters will 'bloody his nose' (rough quote from reportress). Oddly the CBC at the same time is reporting on hysteria in Holland celebrating the Canadian soldiers who liberated Holland 60 years ago. The idea tha there might be any connection here seems alien to these folk.
Ah the complexities of this election. Claire Short won her seat. The analysts are saying that a swing away from voting for her repudiates the Blair position on the Iraq war. It turns out that is the biggest swing so far against Labour. I think none of them know what they are talking about. We voters make mischief.

Labour 168 Con 22 LD 19

UPDATE: We are getting past my bedtime so I should stop.

From what the reporters say it must be major anti-Labour seats that for some odd reason report most slowly; since my last update Labour gained 32 seats and the other parties 13. Somehow there is a major anti-Blair trend going on. I am perplexed.

UPDATE: The UK is as silly as Canada. BBC is asking a Time reporter what Bush will be thinking of this. My guess, from what Laura said at the White House correspondents' dinner, is that he is asleep! To be honest, his coverage makes me think I should be. Maybe Condi and Laura are up, but not likely following the results here.

Heavens what a great line - "in the US election last November, when Iraq was not a factor in the election, except for support for the President". Now what could the poor anchor have meant by that? I thought the President won.

OK let me check now

Labour 210
Con 36
LD 22

There must be something very weird about scheduling of counting if the hopes I am hearing will be fulfilled.

UPDATE: Aaarrggghhh! The inevitable discussion of proportional representation. Guess from which party!

UPDATE:

Labour 221
Con 38
LD 23

The story is that there are many constituencies out in the country and we may not hear from them before tomorrow morning. These guys have no sense of drama.

UPDATE: Looks like sad news - Galloway wins Bethnal Green (still speculative). This is remarkable - a man who cheered Saddam Hussein actually wins a seat in a civilized country. This will give the chattering classes chattering material.

I do wish the English would learn to pronounce a word like 'issue' correctly. Their hissing is quite annoying.

Why do I watch this stuff? Why do these elections matter? It is no perfect solution. But it is one vital thing - a defined peaceful way to have one potential government replace another; this is very very special. How many countries have such a thing? More than many years ago, thanks to the dissolution of so many tyrannies. But it is a spectacular thing, and a special thing, and this country is one of the longer-running instances.

Labour 244
Con 54
LD 29

Gains flattening out a bit.

BBC now examining the tea-leaf trends. I remain baffled - as decided seats get added, the Labour lead seems to increase. They still know something more. It is not clear what.

Labour 259 up 15
Con 61 up 7
LD 29 flat

Jack Straw on-screen, challenging the media's knee-jerk view that the Muslim community should be against removing SaddamHussein from power. This assumption has long baffled me.
In any case he has been re-elected, and I am pleased to see that.

Labour 275 up 16
Con up 76 up 15
LD 32 up 3

Hmm slight shift now.

Blair - hmm for the first time one could combine compassionate policies with tough economics (roughly what he said). For all the other stuff, he has managed to combine the Left's 'compassion' with some economic pragmatism. Funny - in the first term, renowned for a lack of principles; my own view is that the Iraq choice was one of principle on his part (however poorly he sold it). It would be nice to see other elements of the western left learn from this.

Labour 280 up 6
Con 89 up 13
LD 32

Yup some gain on Con side

Some humour in BBC commentary - supposedly US Democratic guys helped Labour (why would they ask those losers?) and the Conservatives got some help (from Karl Rove - I think I doubt that). Coverage has become too inane for me. Wonder how it will look in the morning.

Labour 284 up 4
Con 90 up 1
LD 33 up 1

hmm dubious trends at best

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home