Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Our National Network

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, our 'national' broadcasting network, is in the middle of a labour dispute, a management lockout, so strange things are going on in our airwaves.
Given the uselessness of what I heard yesterday on my car radio on my normal pre-set CBC stations, I started exploring other pre-set stations, starting with the French CBC (called the SRC) stations. Imagine my surprise to find the usual suspects there interviewing guests, playing songs, and giving traffic reports.
Huh? Aren't these guys locked out? Surely they would not rebroadcast traffic reports or weather reports from last week.
Someone help me? Is the SRC a separate organization - in particular, another 'national' broadcasting network? Which would confirm the common claims that we are two separate nations in the Canadian state, and mark this notion as endorsed by our federal government.
Or is there something else I do not get? (The traffic and weather reports seem to be for somewhere in Quebec so ti is hard for me to check them directly.)

1 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Blogger EclectEcon said...

Someone at Western Standard had the answer. From Maclean's:

Employees in Quebec and Moncton, N.B., belong to different unions and are expected to continue working but not to cross over into Ontario to help out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home