Saturday, February 04, 2006

One-Handed Life, part 1

Wearing a sling has created many challenges. It is remarkable how much more efficiently and easily one can do many things with two hands rather than one (actually, one free hand, and one hand permanently positioned near the navel).

My injury is a sort of blessing. They say that solving puzzles helps keep us as we age from developing dementia, and I am truly grateful to be able to stave off dementia for the next few weeks by overcoming the obstacles that show up.

Let me enumerate some of the trickier operations and my current solution. Any improvements to these solutions are welcome. And by the way, a little more good fortune - my free hand is my dominant hand.

a) Brushing teeth. The main problem is getting the toothpaste on the toothbrush. Lay the toothbrush on its back (brushes up) and squeeze very gently, lest the paste being applied knock it on its side.

b) Washing my hands, well hand. One can apply fingers to any finger and the palm, but the back of the hand is a problem - I get the washcloth soaped up and rub the back of the hand against it.

c) Cutting vegetables. When not held down, they escape all over when I apply a knife. At the moment I am eating them whole (well, I might stop halfway and store the leftover).

d) Tying shoelaces. I went to Zeller's (there is no nearby Wal-Mart) and bought a pair of shoes that are secured by velcro.

e) Using my super-duper brand-new camera. I am using a tripod, a good idea in any case, if you don't need too much spontaneity.

f) Washing dishes. This is easy - the dishwasher is finally getting used.

g) Combing my hair. I had never thought about this but I comb with my left hand. And it is quite awkward with the right; I suspect this is because my hair parts on the left. My solution here is to lower my standards regarding well-combed hair.


More to come later.

I should point out that one-handed typing is very slow.

1 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger rondi adamson said...

Oh boy: When I read this I realize I should have blogged in 2005 about life with only the use of one foot. In short, I feel your pain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home