Sunday, March 26, 2006

What is a 'Lasting Peace'?

Under (I do think in ways unfair) pressure to comment on the fact that it was a military force that freed him from several months of captivity, British 'Christian Peacemeaker' Norman Kember said,
I do not believe that a lasting peace is achieved by armed force, but I pay tribute to their courage and thank those who played a part in my release.
So whence comes a lasting peace? Via the Christian Peacemakers? No evidence in favour of that. In fact I think the problem is the test is hopeless - surely only a peace without the presence of an enduring military presence would, in CPT eyes, be a lasting peace. By definition what Kember said is true.

Tougher. What is a lasting peace? Does the post-WWII arrangement count, wrt Germany and Japan?

Has there EVER been what CPT calls a lasting peace? Have CPT ever done anything other than add significant costs to the admittedly flawed efforts of others to create a lasting peace?

I am thrilled those boys are free, but I have no way to know that what good things they may have done in Iraq were worth the cost they have imposed on other efforts in the last several months.

BTW - I have adopted a new comment policy in the last month or so. Irrelevant comments I will just ignore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home