Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Watson's Performance

We saw Canadian Stage's Of Mice and Men Saturday, featuring Watson. Watson was superb; he slumped down pefectly at a key moment, and conveyed all the exact emotion required. When his murderer summons him to his execution he also did a wonderful job of jumping up naively. The performance was utterly perfect.
I was surprised; the play had fairly poor reviews in the local newspapres, but I found it very engaging. Moreover, I normally hate the sentimental, and this play is filled with it; but Steinbecks's identification with the underdogs is so solid and understandable, and the two lead actors were so good in their roles, that I felt this was another case where the subscription did its job. It made me see a play I would not have gone to see otherwise, and that was well worth seeing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home