Tuesday, November 21, 2006

RIP Robert Altman

I recall walking into the middle of a movie in 1970 that neither my companion nor I could reasonably parse starting there. Watching it from the start sorted things out and it was a revelation, a piece of delightful irreverence. This film was "MASH". (The TV series based on it was neither irreverent nor entertaining, but rather a piece of typical Hollywood gruel.)
A country music fan at the time, I watched 'Nashville' with some skepticism, but enjoyed it. His films were never just tedious and predictable. They were decidedly not always great. And as I have read other comments, I should line up on one side - I liked "McCabe and Mrs Miller" (though I may have been infected by the time).
Robert Altman has died. The world is a little poorer for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home