Thursday, November 23, 2006

Toronto Winter Golf

The weather forecasts promised sunny skies and temperatures of around 10 degrees centigrade, so I agreed to join in on a round of golf today! The waters of Casablanca came to mind as we arrived at the course; I began to feel I had been misled.
Here is an out of focus picture of the dash on my car recording the outside temperature as we arrived. Not quite 10 degrees - more like 0 degrees.

As for sunny here is the scene at the first tee.

Now golf features occasional blind shots and these make it more interesting. But when EVERY shot is a blind shot, the game is something else, and in a fog, it is pretty hard to know where to shoot. I guess we should be happy nobody got hurt.
One of our group put a ball early in the round into the water. Ooppss! That is what we would normally say. Actually it was onto the water - here is his ball (slightly out of focus).
One member of our group commented, "Only Jesus can play that ball," and the owner of the ball said, "If we could wait two months, I could walk out and play it."
In the end this seemed unlikely, as the sun did break through on our back nine, from time to time, and gave us nice scenes like this of the group in front of us holding up our play.

As almost always, it was a grand time, with good company, with some promise of minor competence at this difficult sport, and with a lot of challenge to come.
But really, had someone said I would have an enjoyable round of golf this year on November 23, I would have laughed. The last laugh is on my expectations, and I am the winner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home