Tuesday, November 21, 2006

This poses no question for me nor does it surprise me when I consider the Israelis I know (not that they are gay, but more that they are very committed to human rights).
What troubles me is the tension between our 'social' left and 'political' left. Much of the political left I knew has decided to support forces that are appallingly opposed to what I consider basic personal rights - opposed to personal fredom, women's rights, gay rights. They would cheer the elimination of Israel and its replacement by Hamas or Hizbollah or some Islamic organization decidedly unfriendly to personal freedom.
This their call I guess but I have yet to see a sensible explanation of why. And I sure would not want to live in the result. (The main reason I do not want to live in today's Israel is of course that Hamas and Hizbollah are determinedly trying to destroy daily life there with largely ineffective but constant murderous attacks (and first degree, with clear intent)).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home