Sunday, January 28, 2007

Bush did not know the price of a loaf of Bread

More on that fatuous Star editorial. It seem their editors do not go to grocery stores.
Grocery stores will lose business to competitors if they cut back on cashiers, and make customers wait in even longer lines.

Just wait for when we have a bevy of self-service lines in the grocery stores (we already have the stores learning today how to run them well - they have not yet got it - I hate using them - but they will). They will train us to like them (and when they work, I will, because the quality of the cashiers in stores is very variable). The human cashier will be the exception, and we customers will be checking ourselves out more efficiently than we did before with human cashiers. And an inflated bottom wage for the staff will accelerate this enormously.

Hmm not unlike banks. And to be honest, I used to feel dismay at having to deal with my bank - and now I just sit down for 20 minutes at my computer in the morning, and have no need of going to the branch.

Low-paid jobs vanishing, because labour is not cheap. Jobs for the people I am sure the proponents of these policies think they want to help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home