Friday, June 15, 2007

Updating my Books List - Eva Menasse version

Oliver Kamm induced me to buy and read Eva Menasse's 'Vienna'. I am glad I decided to read it in translation, as I doubt the original German was simple enough for me to always identify the tone of what I would have been reading.
For someone who has spent many summer vacations in Austria, it was a very interesting multi-generational portrait of a slightly fictionalized Austria, centred on a family which was largely mixed through Jewish-Christian intermarriage. 'Interesting' is an understatement to describe the life trajectories involved.
I am not sure how interesting the book would be to those not connected in some personal way to Austrian modern history, but I found it fascinating and touching in places. (I have two independent personal connections.)
Also, a small point, it seemed to me that Menasse's observations touching on the Waldheim period, paint a picture more in accordance with my sister's slightly intemperate characterization, and one saw a similar reaction when the FPOe where invited into a coalition government. The distinction between the German and Austrian handling, in their intellectual milieu and popular conception, of the Nazi years is very visible.
I finished reading it long ago so it will now disappear from my sidebar.
Billy Wilder (a truly great Austrian) joked that the Austrians tried to convince the world that Beethoven was Austrian and Hitler German, which captures a piece of it well.
Of course I have sat among Norwegians outraged at proposed controls on whaling, Maritimers shocked at proposed controls on seal hunting. But in the end we pick our tribes and should worry about what they attach us to emotionally.
Back to Menasse's book - I think very interesting particularly for non-Austrians with personal connections to Austria.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home