Thursday, June 19, 2008

America Alone

Yup - Mark Steyn's book - which I would never have even considered reading without the help of Khurrum Awan (and his Elmasry puppetmaster).

It is much better than I ever thought it would be.

My favourite passage so far has nothing to do with Muslims, more to do with his main subject; I hope he does not mind my transcribing this bit, which starts with his noting that many local cars, especially expensive ones, have 'Free Tibet' bumper stickers:

Everyone's for a free Tibet but nobody's for freeing Tibet.
...
If Rumsfeld were to say, 'Free Tibet? Jiminy, what a swell idea! The Third Infantry Division goes in on Thursday,' the bumper sticker crowd would be aghast. They'd have to bend down and peel off the 'FREE TIBET' stickers and replace them with 'WAR IS NOT THE ANSWER'.'


It is this fatuity that his book is mostly about - sure, yeah a bit about Muslims, but mostly about us assholes.

And of course this is written with his normal style, so he must mention having to bend down to change bumper stickers.

It is great journalism. I am rather grateful to Elmasry and his sock puppets. They have added greatly, if indirectly, to my enjoyment in life.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home