Friday, August 29, 2008

She got runned over by a damned old train

Don Boudreaux analogizes wonderfully, comparing Hillary Clinton's Democratic Convention speech to the perfect country song (which I mention in passing in this post):

WELL, I WAS DRUNK THE DAY MY MOM GOT OUT OF PRISON
AND I WENT TO PICK HER UP IN THE RAIN
BUT BEFORE I COULD GET TO THE STATION IN MY PICK-UP TRUCK
SHE GOT RUNNED OVER BY A DAMNED OLD TRAIN

He likens this self-parody to passages like:

And I will always remember the young boy who told me his mom worked for the minimum wage, that her employer had cut her hours. He said he just didn't know what his family was going to do.

(Read his post for even better examples.)
Having just watched Obama's acceptance speech, I have to wonder if there is any limit to the self-satire we will see in the course of this campaign. ("This election isn't about me. This election is about you", or the ridiculous like.)

Aside: No doubt Hillary Clinton was in favour of the increase in the minimum wage, one of whose effects would be expected to be just what happened to that single mom.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home