Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Starbucks Party and My Canadian Election

A political scientist this morning commented on the Canadian election on the CBC, and particularly outcomes around the Greater Toronto Area, and contrasted the Conservatives and Liberals as the Tim Horton`s and Starbucks parties.

This seems to me about right, and explains how the City of Toronto votes Liberal or NDP, and the whole region around the centre city votes Conservative. He really ought to have said "Starbucks parties", as I suspect the latte-drinkers are even more concentrated in the New Democratic Party than in any other party.

I voted Green in the last two elections, but Elizabeth May`s apparent instruction to Green voters to vote strategically to keep the Conservatives out of power made me decide not to vote Green ever again. So what would I do? A Conservative vote would be an utter waste in this Starbuck riding, so I went for the only sensible strategy. I voted Liberal for the first time in years, mostly to keep the execrable Marilyn Churley out of office.

Unintended consequences abound in politics as well, and I fear that her failure to win this seat will re-involve her in civic politics, where she can do even more damage to me.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Blogger rondi adamson said...

I think this couldn't be more inaccurate, not surprising from the CBC. Every leftist I know takes great pride in going to Tim's, because it's Canadian. They all despise Starbucks because it is American and the dreaded, evil "multinational" corporation. I voted Tory and I love Starbucks. I know the analogy is a popular one, but I see no evidence of it in the people I meet. And of course, our brother Joe used to rant about how much he loathed Starbucks on campus, because it was American, etc. See my blog here, for a related story: http://wonkitties.blogspot.com/2008/10/idiot-fcking-hippies.html

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What's so "execrable" about Marilyn Churley?

Btw, many NDP supporters are likely to be a lot poorer and not likely to go to Starbuck's.

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Steve said...

I vote Conservative in my riding, Toronto Central, even if it would have been a waste, in order to increase the popular vote, but that being said the Conservatives still came second, beating the Idiot NDP guy, like you I decided not to go Green, because of May.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home