Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Courage, and a Fine Sense of Mischief

For a few months now I have been reading Yoanni Sanchez' brave blog.
Today I learned that some of that courage comes with a nice sense of mischief.
However, as I do not feel myself a victim, I raise my skirt a little and show my legs to the two men who follow me everywhere. There is nothing more paralyzing than a woman’s calf flashing in the sun in the middle of the street. Nor am I wooden like a martyr, I try not to forget to smile, because giggles are hard stones in the teeth of the authoritarian. So I continue my life, without letting them turn me into a whiner, with only one regret. Ultimately, everything that I live today has also been the product of my silence, the direct fruit of my former passivity.

She is certainly right about that calf!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home