Thursday, June 04, 2009

Palm Rolls the Dice

I had a Palm Pilot, I don't recall which one. I don't really use a personal organizer now, except my memory, but I don't have to remember too much at this stage of life. Palm suffered badly business-wise, as other companies caught up with them.
Palm then decided to roll the dice and enter the competition directly against Apple's iPhone and Saturday the result of the large engineering effort hits the market (then for Sprint and somewhat later for Verizon) and I will be cheering for it.
Technology reporter David Pogue of the NY Times has taken a close look at the result, the Palm Pre, and he really likes it:!

The Pre, which goes on sale Saturday, is an elegant, joyous, multitouch smartphone; it’s the iPhone remixed. That’s no surprise, really; its primary mastermind was Jon Rubinstein, who joined Palm after working with Steve Jobs of Apple, on and off, for 16 years. Once at Palm, he hired 250 engineers from Apple and elsewhere, and challenged them to out-iPhone the iPhone.
.
Elegant and joyous! Wow!
Now why am I cheering for it? Because one of those 250 engineers mentioned above is one of my nephews! That nephew's wife has already featured on this blog in a rather different context here.
Good luck Pre, and congratulations Dan.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home