Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Rogers Cup - Dementieva!

Elena Dementieva won the tournament in the end.
SillyWife and I watched her eliminate Sam Stosur in the quarter-finals. Both played well.
Here is Stosur serving:

And, Dementieva, characteristically, scrambling:

Watching Dementieva was a real treat; I had never really payed much attention to her game, but she keeps points alive many shots beyond their natural end. I just LOVE that scrambling! To quote Stosur:

Elena is such a good competitor and never gives up. She always makes you work for each point. She played very well today, too, in the parts of the match I saw against Serena. I think she will be hard to beat in tomorrow's final.

Stosur was prophetic as Dementieva dispatched Williams and then Scharapova in the final, in one of the most entertaining matches I have seen in a while, as Scharapova fought frustration, trying to figure out how to put Dementieva away in a point. Several points included a number of overheads, all returned by defensive dazzling derring-do. Thanks, Elena!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home