Thursday, July 22, 2010

Silly Little Country

I have had some dim-witted people wonder about the title of this blog, but for Pete's sake!
My country is into a major dizzie fit because the Chief Statistician resigned!  Now I caused great embarrassment to the Chief Statistician at the time (I said in a CBC interview that my summer high school job at the Dominion Bureau of Statistics was 'boring', as it surely was). But this is way better! or worse  The current government, as I have already posted, has decided to destroy any statistical validity in the census process in Canada.  And then insisted that Statistics Canada supported this totally invalid view, and in the end effectively forced through this lying the resignation of the head of the organization.
Don't get me wrong.  I am not sure that is bad.  It may be that the policy directives that come out of our careful history of trying to do the census correctly have produced bad outcomes .But let us at least be honest.  Tony Clement's proposal is to make the census useless in any serious way.
Personally, I think that is bad.
Surprise, those of you expecting me to support Harper all the time.  But I would guess, you guys agree this is one silly country.

2 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Blogger Claude said...

Yes! We are a touch silly. And quite unimportant in a way. But I like it as it is. It's changing a bit. Sometimes, it worries me. Please God (I pray) stop us from becoming too serious, and pedantic, and exciting. But, as I'm already old, very possibly we'll stay utterly boring till I die. Amen!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

I agree. I admire our silliness in many ways!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home