Wednesday, January 18, 2006

How Do I Deserve to be Treated?

A Moral Relativism Quiz

Consider the following scenarios and think about how I ought to be treated.

a) I get up in the morning and go to work in the World Trade Center as a clerk in a (stock brokerage, bank)

b) I get up in the morning and go to work in the World Trade Center as a manager in a (stock brokerage, bank)

c) I get up in the morning and go to work in the World Trade Center as the CEO in a (stock brokerage, bank)

d) I go out to a nightclub in Israel to have fun with my friends.

e) I get up in the morning and mastermind the hijacking of several airplanes, killing all passengers, and hoping to fly the airplanes into the World Trade Center

f) I get up in the morning and organize a couple of young men in the neighbourhood into crossing the border into Israel and blowing away a whole bunch of people dancing and partying in a nightclub.

g) I repeatedly announce to the world my intention to replace the liberal West with a caliphate and proudly talk about the various murderous operations I have organized.

h) I invite the guy in g) to dinner. My neighbours report me to some people who know how to aim missiles and don't like the idea of suffering murderous operations intending to create the new caliphate.

OK which of us deserves some prophylactic action? The Ward Churchill view is a) - d). I am hoping there are other opinions. I think h) is tricky.

There is also the question of how we know any of these things - which is why I tried to make g) so clear.

I do feel that h) is a tricky one.

2 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

Never thought madness played the smallest role.

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

Hmm yeah I think Ward Churchill describing what I consider relatively innocent people "little Hitlers" somewhat of an endorsement of terrorism.
One can honestly differ on this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home