Sunday, January 01, 2006

Leaving the Bionic Fellowship

During my Thursday visit to my cataract surgeon, she dismissed me, telling my that in three weeks I should simply get a new refraction and get new glasses and consider myself back to normal visually. From my point of view it is super-normal!
Of course I was jubilant, especially to have the whole process complete before the first outlook I got said the operations would even start. On the other hand, a cataract surgeon's office is a fun place to be - people are almost universally delighted at their outcomes, and few places in life offer a collection of people feeling that way.
And I will miss that special atmosphere; I felt it most strongly at the time of my first operation, but even with the more sober crew in the waiting room last week, you could sense everyone was excited and pleased at what miracles they had experienced.
This is an enormous tribute to a long history of human struggle to figure things out and develop solutions to problems, rather than simply pray and accept limitations as God's will. I really want to thank all those who went before me, letting their eyes be the subject of experiments. I am much the better for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home