Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The End of the One-Handed Life

The rather draconian orders never to get out of my very cumbersome sling (a two-piece thick foam piece of work that was pretty confining), issued at Emergency and repeated in a subsequent phone discussion, became, in an instant during my follow-up visit to a fracture doctor, an assertion that the sling was now optional and purely for my convenience. Moreover, I have a nice new light sling, almost thoroughly unobtrusive. And I now am functioning with one and a fraction hands, where the fraction is large.
This is a little disappointing, as it removes a good deal of challenge from life. Certainly there is no element of the exercises my physiotherapist has prescribed that will do much to stimulate the brain, beyond the requirement of counting to 20.
The hard part now will be holding myself back and not pushing the recovery faster than it can safely go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home