Sunday, May 28, 2006

TVO Ads

I enjoy my government-owned stations - I should - I have to pay for them!
TVO is currently running an ad (perhaps for that ridiculous 'The Corporation' 'documentary') where an attractive female voiceover at one point says something like "There are those who say that at sometime in the future everything will be owned by someone".
Oh PLEASE yes PLEASE!! What Coase pointed out is how much promise this would have for sorting out all sorts of problems. We could actually perhaps have some externalities dealt with. Right now we just yammer on about global warming. Let's have someone own the problem!
Somehow I doubt I will see a show soon on TVO explaining all this.

2 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

No need to ask for forgiveness - it is the first time I have seen it. I find I have to make war even in my own blog and the various authorization mechanisms. It is an entertaining film but I found myself exasperated in several places; very early we see all these smoking stacks, and hear about pollution, and the suggestion, that private corporations are uniquely capable of these crimes, is allowed. Given the messes being cleaned up in ex-Communist countries, this already showed there was no interest in a serious attempt to really understand what goes wrong and what goes well. , as all of this was known when the film was amde.
I did like the cute conceit - psychoanalyze 'the corporation'. But serious content? Nope.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

Nor did I ever say the film 'said' that. Just that the presentation was profoundly dishonest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home