Saturday, October 28, 2006

The Creative Destruction of Tower Records


I was on the road last week and had occasion to walk by a Tower Records store (something I had not really seen since the 1970s, when this corporation had a great ascendancy where I lived). The sign out front reflected the times in many ways.
Any CD I have bought in the last few years was on-line, and the number of those purchases is trending downwards fast. And I am an old coot! (I am not buying vinyl, either.)
I give their management credit for their remaining witty as the ship sinks.

For more on creative destruction see this entry.

1 Comments:

At 4:15 PM, Blogger Martin said...

Our (i.e. Vancouver's) A&B Records has gone the same way. 10 years ago we had the lowest prices and highest availablilty of CDs in Canada (actually anywhere in the world) and now the place is a shell of its former self. I too use online sources which have access to far more and retain low prices. I have to wait a month and a half to get the product but as long as I order regularly, I get packages regularly and my memory being what it is...well you know. I feel like I am getting everything on time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home