Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Back Home Again - Avi Lewis First Exposure

When I saw earlier in the year that CBC was giving Avi Lewis the platform of a television show, I was not really surprised, just slightly depressed, though it did help to prove that we do have a silly little country.

I have been spared watching the clown, partly because of long absences from the country, but on return was pointed to this appalling interview with Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Avi Lewis lecturing her on Islam? This would be funny almost anywhere else in the world. She does a very nice job with his slick leftist moral relativism. She really understands the point of key issues where he cannot get past his upper-middle-class convenient Canadian positions.

She has lived this - he has lived fretting about the expansion of lofts into his neighbourhood.

I especially loved her characterization of the non-Islamic aggressive religious documents as 'almost obsolete'. This is exactly true here, and one of the reasons I do like my silly little country.

UPDATE: Well worth listening to these deconstructions of the fool Lewis.

Prager catches the wonderful moment as Ali is stunned at Lewis' moral relativism, which Prager calls out particularly in Lewis' line "Homophobia is rampant in the United States". Lewis' fatuity is exposed completely.

On this homophobia issue, let me say that, as I will likely discuss further in another post, I watched "Blades of Glory" on my flight home, and then "Talladega Nights" during my sleeplessness tonight. Anyone who wants to defend Avi Lewis' stupid views must confront the fact that these are utterly middle-American comedies.

P.S. I don't like Prager's use of the word 'liberal' - it has been pre-empted in American politics to mean something that strays far from the model I still believe in that is best distilled in John Stuart Mill.

2 Comments:

At 12:57 AM, Blogger Steve said...

What Prager probably did not know was Avi 's background, I guy who went to Upper Canada College, and is only at the CBC because of who his Parent's are. Yet he goes on about how Democracy in America is only for the rich and powerful, as you say, would he rather the government be changed everynow again by the use of Tanks.?

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

How can someone so silly get a national tv show in Canada? "Homophobia is rampant in the United States". If that is true of the US then it's true of Cananda and other places such as Europe. If one is GBL transgendered etc. they are more likely to get beat-up in New York than Berlin or London? Bullshit!!! Avi is a fool. Or perhaps he's a phoney; and his audience consists of fools.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home