Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Garry Wise Left me behind today

A commenter, Allan, on this post was, I thought, overly skeptical of the comments I had referred to in Garry Wise's weblog, but I would say Wise proved Allan right this morning by clarifying our differences. (Allan and I likely still differ, but I differ from Wise more than I knew.)

In this post, amusingly one in which Wise rightly criticizes Ezra Levant for a
bizarre, rambling effort to rationalize his own questionable behaviour as harmless by reference to criminal vandalism against the Edmonton synagogue he claims as his own.
he himself writes a long, bizarre, rambling account in which the bottom line is:
I am glad Canada now provides a legal remedy against egregiously discriminatory provocation and insult.
That sounds really nice, but is of course exactly an invitation to accusations of thought crimes and time-wasting like that going on right now. The time-wasting is of course likely good for lawyers.

I agree with Wise that Levant was somewhat over the top, and not very terse, and rude to the interrogator, but if Wise cannot see how shocking her opening question was, I worry about what legal education means now. I loathe the notion of legislating sensitive behavior. (And if Wise cares, hey, we're all the descendants of immigrants who were insulted.)

I am astonished anyone can think publishing those silly cartoons deserves any interest from state institutions. Amazing to recall that the Danish prime minister simply said it was none of his business (as it should be).

You can read more on some of this from Doc if you wish!

2 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Blogger Allan said...

Just to re-iterate my position:

Free speech is free speech is free speech
whether in Macleans
on the Web
in the University
or behind the counter at Tim Horton's.

So far as Ezra Levant's performance is concerned
I'd say
at times he was long-winded and rambling
but who amongst us
under such circumstances
could have done better?

As for Ezra's being 'over the top'
I'd say the bureaucratic parasites
of the HRC (Alberta)
got all the respect they deserve
i.e. none.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

I mqy be coming around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home