Friday, November 07, 2008

The Yellow Fish Road

UPDATE: Please see comment below from rkelley.

Recently I noticed this rather odd graffito on the curb near a corner of the block I live on. I was perplexed - was this some religious statement?

Later, this rather odd crest appeared, affixed to the curb. And yes, a storm drain was nearby.

Even later, I found rather odd document in my mailbox; I have scanned top and bottom. Click to enlarge if you want to read it.


What the hey? A bunch of government agencies have spent money painting graffiti and affixing silly crests to the curbs of our city to mark the location of storm drains? Here is the overall effect of such a valuable program.

Which is easier to notice? The storm drain or the yellow fish? I am pretty confident even I could think of a better way to spend the money that was laundered through this program by our gubmnt.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Alan, this IS NOT a government program. This is Trout Unlimited Canada's Yellow Fish Road program. It's purpose is to inform canadians that everytying that goes into storm drains ends up in rivers, lakes and streams. Storm drains (in almost all cases) do not connect to waste water treatment plants. The stencil, curb disc and doohanger were done by volunteers, all material is paid for by Trout Unlimited Canada which is funded by a variety of grants. At the time of this writing none of the funding is from the federal government or Ontario provincial grants.
For more information see www.yellowfishroad.org

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

Hey thanks! I remain unsure about how useful this is, but it does make for a different point, and one I can sympathize with. I appreciate the correction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home