Saturday, January 03, 2009

So That's Where it Came From

Gene at Harry's Place enlightens me, in the process of noting that the UK Communist Morning Star has opened its Web site to free perusal (it is amusing that this "newspaper" was one of the last holding out with a subscriber wall).

My enlightenment arose from this passage:

A couple of years ago George Galloway wrote an article for The Morning Star purporting to tell “the truth on Sudan.” Even though I couldn’t access the entire piece, I wrote:

"Judging from available evidence, the truth [according to Galloway] seems to have something to do with Western imperialists lusting after Sudan’s oil and using the genocide in Darfur (or non-genocide, as Galloway assures us) as an excuse to get into the country and start pumping it out of the ground."

And now that I can see the entire article for free, it turns out– wait for it– that I was right.

A couple of years ago, one of my ex-commenters made exactly the same claims, and these notions so collided with the facts on the ground as I still understand them that I wondered how someone with half a brain could believe it. Now I have the answer - it was the Communist position, so surely true - the half brain listens to those guys.
It seems to me something like the claim that the Israelis are committing genocide on the Palestinians.
If either of these claims are true, I am reminded of a Woody Allen joke about God, and have to consider that the perpetrators must really be major underachievers.

The Morning Star does seem rather desperate for good vibes. Damian Penny notes some silliness about Cuba:

Of course, it's not just the likes of the Morning Star that use some variation of this line about Cuba:

"When lame-duck US President George Bush leaves office this month, the revolution will have outlasted 10 US leaders."

Well, it's kind of easy to "outlast" a string of term-limited American Presidents when you don't put yourselves up for re-election, isn't it?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home