Wednesday, September 02, 2009

The Best 15 Seconds of My Life

Not my life, but Devin Britton's. I hope we see a lot more of him in the future.
He drew Roger Federer as his first-round opponent at the US Open and talked to Liz Robbins about the experience.
“His forehand is crazy,” Britton said, shaking his head. “I tried to keep it away, but sometimes I hit it there just to see it. It’s so pretty.”
This was not the Roger Federer he had seen on television. “I don’t think you can really tell exactly. I mean, he obviously looks unbelievable on TV,” Britton said. “But playing against it was even more tough. It was so scary. I was pretty scared.”

And Federer has his memories.

“It’s interesting now, with a new generation coming up and almost idolizing some players,” Federer said. “That’s what happened with me. All of a sudden I was in front of Pete Sampras at Wimbledon and I couldn’t believe it, you know.”
At that point, it was Sampras who was No.1. “I didn’t ever expect to be this successful,” Federer said. “I knew I had something special in me, more talent than other players.”

h/t Angus who makes an interesting observation about the women's field. I recall commenting to SillyWife that the Rogers Cup field was full of blonde Slavs I could not distinguish from one another. (That is NOT a complaint!)
I find it slightly off-putting that Federer is already referring to a new generation. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home