Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Let's Just Change the Rules When We Feel Like It!

Look I am no fan of Karla Homolka. But she cut a deal with the state and I think the state should honor it.
I am ashamed to watch my government scrambling to use the legislative process to undermine the deal that thankfully put Paul Bernardo in jail.
This is a 'feature' of the current US administration I find truly unpleasant - let's just change all the rules when we don't like some outcomes! It is no prettier from my government.

4 Comments:

At 5:32 PM, Blogger Thermblog said...

Did the deal include a pardon? If not, I don't see the government's actions as wrong. The incriminating evidence that came to light after the deal was cut showed that she lied about her role anyway.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

The deal certainly included the current rules about pardons at the time, but you might say, and you would be right, the ability of Parliament to change those rules.
Still, I am inclined to be against these somewhat arbitrary last-minute changes; the nexr Karla Homolka will be a lot more canny and probable take down a few more teenage girls. I'd like to encourage the next Karla to roll on her lover.
But of course you have a point.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger rondi adamson said...

According to many Law & Order episodes I have seen, if the person who cut the deal lied about their role in the crime, the deal no longer applies. But that is with Jack McCoy -- not sure it applies in Ontario.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Thermblog said...

Still, I am inclined to be against these somewhat arbitrary last-minute changes

Spoken like a true conservative; and I thought I was one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home