Wednesday, September 01, 2010

The CBC on Blair's Book

They are certainly true to themselves.  They report that he does not apologize for participating in the removal of Saddam Hussein from power.  Of course, the CBC view is surely that he should. Instead, he says:
I am unable to satisfy the desire even of some of my supporters, who would like me to say: it was a mistake but one made in good faith. Friends opposed to the war think I'm being obstinate; others, less friendly, think I'm delusional. To both I may say: keep an open mind.
The CBC describe him as being rude about Gorodon Brown and so far as I have heard, quote only negative remarks about Brown. What does Blair say?
Was he difficult, at times maddening? Yes. But he was also strong, capable and brilliant, and those were qualities for which I never lost respect.
I could take that insult pretty happily.
And of course there is no mention of this (were there, it would be proof of Blair's poodledom):
I had come to like and admire George [Bush]. I was asked recently which of the political leaders I had met had the most integrity. I listed George near the top. Some people were aghast... thinking I was joking. He had genuine integrity and as much political courage as any leader I ever met. He was, in a bizarre sense... a true idealist.
I seriously doubt I'll read a passage like that about the great windbag anytime in the future.

1 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Blogger Thermblog said...

The reflexive description of Blair as "Bush's poodle" became in itself, Pavlovian.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home