Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Daily Mail Deepens My Concern

After my bleg, with NO responses, I stumble across this, which shows the concern I had makes sense, and in fact the Brits are well advanced!
A Mail on Sunday investigation - which will alarm anyone concerned about animal cruelty - has revealed that schools, hospitals, pubs and famous sporting venues such as Ascot and Twickenham are controversially serving up meat slaughtered in accordance with strict Islamic law to unwitting members of the public.
All the beef, chicken and lamb sold to fans at Wembley has secretly been prepared in accordance with sharia law, while Cheltenham College, which boasts of its ‘strong Christian ethos’, is one of several top public schools which also serves halal chicken to pupils without informing them.
Even Britain’s biggest hotel and restaurant group Whitbread, which owns the Beefeater and Brewers Fayre chains, among many others, has admitted that more than three-quarters of its poultry is halal.
I wonder if I will live to see meat labelled as 'non-halal'. I sure hope so. I expect all the PETA people are lined up to help on this one. 'Halal' slaughter seems to me even more disgusting than what I had assumed we were doing.
I wonder if they have special rules about how to kill a salmon. I hope not. I can give up beef and chicken but salmon would be a problem.
And of course I am assuming 'halal pork' makes no sense so I can assume the pigs are being slaughtered relatively well.

2 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

Unless you are vegetarian, I am not seeing why PETA or anyone else should be worried about consuming halal meat. It is far from clear that it is any worse for the animal being slaughtered than the methods usually used.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

Yeah some people say that. I think I'd rather be stunned than bleed out consciously. I find the latter idea disgusting and have NO wish to support it. YMMV but a case for it would surprise me no end.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home