Sunday, January 01, 2006

The CBC as my Road-Buddy

As mentioned earlier I was on the road much of the morning, and I had CBC's 'Sunday Edition' on through most of the trip. As I have earlier indicated, I have an ambiguous view of this show. I must say today's incarnation was an utter delight.
The first hour was dominated by a summary of 2005 by three evidently quite brilliant commentators - Janice Stein, Sally Armstrong, and Margaret MacMillan. Their forty-minute discussion scintillated. In the next hour P. D. James managed to fight her way through Michael Enright's egoistic interrupting style to actually make some good points. In the third hour Risa Schuman explained why the current King Kong was not so good as the first one - her main point was that it was too slow, and I agree! And spent too much time in irrelevant videogame stuff - see my earlier post.
My companion on this trip pointed out that all the smart people on the various interviews were women, and I must say, I agree! Actually, one man showed up, and he should have just let the women talk (he has a problem there). Of course, it was his job.
So once again I thank the millions of Canadians who would not even think of listening to such an effete radio show, but are willing to support my tastes. Keep sending those taxes in! After all, this is surely your heritage.
I should point out that the show ended with two men discussing Lawrence of Arabia - this was the least interesting and least enlightening part of the morning show. They caused me to switch over to country music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home