Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Amateur reads the Kwan story nicely

My friend The Amateur posted a while ago, honestly somewhat against a little sparring we have been engaged in in a couple of different blogs, on the appalling decision of the US to send Michelle Kwan to the Olympics.

Kwan has now withdrawn and the US are desperately trying to get Emily Hughes, who should have been selected to the team originally, installed in palce of Kwan. For Hughes' benefit, I hope they succeed. For some discipline on stupid behaviours like this, I almost hope the IOC refuses the request (but not really - Hughes should get her due, whatever the stupidity of US figure skating administrators).

But my real reason for this post. In another recent posting, the Amateur pointed me to the very touching blog of Sami Joe Small. But he also revealed something else that made it clear why we can be so combative in a friendly way! He (he? I think so) is a Stanford grad! As a Berkeley grad, it becomes clear that almost all our arguments are based in a way on those simple facts.

Whatever his deviations, I do suggest going over to his blog and following his reports on the Olympics. He is always interesting.

1 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Blogger Amateur said...

Aha! That does explain a lot, Alan.

From now on I will be sure never to concede anything, even when you are right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home