Monday, February 20, 2006

Well at least they are honest

When Ezra Levant chose to publish the Jylland-Posten cartoons in The Western Standard, I saw a news report that Chapters would not be distributing the issue in Canada. I sent a note to their customer support e-mail address, asking for confirmation, and pointing out that I intended no further purchases from them were this the case.
I am impressed by their response on many fronts:
a) It came from a V-P (of Public Relations and Corporate Giving), not some poor soul forced to occupy the front line of customer communication, defending some corporate policy that may be quite far from him/her;
b) It did not try to pretend their decision was based on some abstract principles of 'respect', etc. The V-P said flat-out,
In light of the decision of this magazine to publish content which has been known to ignite demonstrations, Indigo Books & Music Inc. has chosen not to carry the upcoming issue of this publication.

So now I now how to get something off the shelves at their store - find some infrantile idiots willing to to go around causing a lot of trouble and starting demonstrations. This is one sorry commitment.

I do respect their right to make this commercial decision.

And I will stick with mine. And it pains me, as I just paid $25 for their stupid discount card, which I have no further interest in using.

Would anyone else like my card (for a small fee), assuming it is transferable (in practice)?

6 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

No need to worry about my chin. There are lots of other bookshops.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger rondi adamson said...

The problem, Dan, is that the marketplace has made a decision based on fear. And now it looks as though the "ultimate decision making mechanism to which we must all prostate ourselves" is Islamofascism.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger rondi adamson said...

And, may I add, not really "the marketplace" so much as the media, my own field. This is frightening to me: We raised the white flag in record time.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger rondi adamson said...

Last comment from Rondi! I promise!
I think the great thing about a free market, is that, as Alan says, he can take his business elsewhere if he is not pleased with a particular company's decision.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

I agree completely about the anti-Semitic bullying! As for the history of the paper, Web searches seem to indicate that Jyllands-Posten, like most papers, has written on many sides of many issues. What was your research? I was surprised you did not mention Daniel Pipes - that seems one of the other knee-jerk claims that keeps popping up with no backing evidence.
As for who is small:
a) seems to me the moderate Danish Muslim community is a winner in this, and is not small now, as it has been helped by the descrediting of the clown Danish imams who fomented the nonsense in Arab countries;
b) the clown Danish imams are small, and may not now get to stay in Denmark,
c) the Danish Prime Minister has played this very well, in my view, making it stunningly clear there is NOTHING to discuss;
d) the Danish cheese industry has gained by my rediscovering Havarti - I have been enjoying it greatly the last week or so; it is tall;
e) most Canadian spokesmen are coming out as pipsqueaks.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger rondi adamson said...

And my ass is no longer small, thanks to Danish blue and Havarti!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home