Sunday, April 09, 2006

Occasional Utter Delights

Some time ago the CBC Newsworld network decided to bridge the gap between The Two Solitudes (this is real, neither side knows a lot overall about the other), and announced they would have a show on the English Network called "Au Courant". When they announced it ould be hosted by Mitsou Gelinas there was much skepticism in the land.

On the show broadcast this morning she interviewed Michel Tremblay, far and away Canada's most interesting playwright of the last 30 years. It was utterly delightful; and doubtlessly partly because of something I had learned only during her career on this show, which I watch regularly with delight, that she is a granddaughter of Gratien Gelinas.

But forget that - while that did come up, her intereview was Tremblay's. See his plays. I have now seen four or five and all of them have been a delight.

And I have seen now many Mitsou interviews on this delightful show and can only say how delightful it is to find my early skepticism completely refuted by the excellence of her work.

6 Comments:

At 6:39 PM, Blogger rondi adamson said...

Wow -- I couldn't agree less about Mitsou. Interesting. I find her about as unimpressive as I find her grandfather's work (i.e. pretty unimpressive).
I sure like Tremblay, though.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

Does the comment apply to Mitsou (nor sure I would disagree) of the show I am writing about?

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger rondi adamson said...

To Mitsou, yes.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

Ahh, well I do not know what to attribute to producers, but I know I try to make this show weekly fare. It has been top notch, and, to be honest, I have found her very informative and uterly charming as a host. Well, I have found her shows to be that.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

Hi rondi

As a point I think entirely on line with what you say, I think that what Tremblay didwas knock off the hold Gelinas-style theatre had in Quebec. And largely becauseof its universality, make it something those of us outside Quebes could be interested in!?

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger rondi adamson said...

Well, all I know is I never liked any of Gelinas' plays when I read them in school. But Tremblay's I always liked.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home