Monday, January 15, 2007

Martin Amis on Life, the World, ...

Via Norm I encountered this excellent 'email interview' in the Independent with Martin Amis. It is insightful, sensible, and often quite humorous. For me the best lines were the insistence on answering a negative question at least somewhat positively (to see the full answer, which includes a concern I agree with 100%, go to Norm or the original) - but I truly liked his turning this question around at the end of his answer:

What is the most depressing thing about Britain you have observed since your return? And the best?...

....

The best thing has been to find myself living in what, despite its faults (despite a million ills), is an extraordinarily successful multi-racial society. This is a beautiful idea, with a good chance of becoming a beautiful reality, too.


Amen - and this is what I hope for us (as I walk by the 'Halal Pizza' shops)!

The whole interview is excellent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home