Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Enderlin Affair

To understand the al-Dura affair, it helps to keep one thing in mind: In France, you can't own up to a mistake


Anne-Elisabeth Moutet has an excellent summary of the Mohammed al-Dura story, and the various trials in France related to it.

Most astonishing is the section at the end in which she interviews those who have signed the petition in defence of Enderlin, long after his report has been shown to be rather defective.

Then there was someone who insisted so vehemently on not being quoted or described in any way that I won't even reveal this person's sex. "Look, this whole thing has been a nightmare for Charles. He's received hate mail, his wife has been threatened, he's about to have a nervous breakdown. You want the truth? I don't give a flying monkey about the case. I signed for Charles. In all honesty, I think he edited his film on deadline and was careless, and afterwards he didn't want to admit he'd screwed up. A one-minute film, and it snowballed from there. Don't put in anything that might identify me, I don't want him to think I don't believe 100 percent in what he says, he'd be devastated.


Nowhere is there any documented interest in what is true.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home