Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Question I have been struggling with

James Hamilton poses it starkly:

How many economic-advice-giving organizations does it take to run a White House?


...

There was already some inherent ambiguity and conflict as to what the respective contributions and roles would be for Larry Summers at the National Economic Council, Christina Romer at the Council of Economic Advisors, Tim Geithner at the Treasury, and Peter Orszag at the Office of Management and Budget. ... based on my knowledge of those four, I could imagine them working together very effectively.

What I'm less clear about is how creating yet another separate advisory group is going to facilitate that. Fortunately Justin Fox has come up with a solution to the potential problem: Obama just needs to appoint Jason Furman to run the "Coordinating Council of Economic Advice-Givers".


I sure hope Obama has the executive skills he clearly thinks he has.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home