Friday, September 25, 2009

A Nicer View of Miller's Departure

From the Post.
No question this is a nice guy with good intentions. I would claim this is why I made the mistake of voting for him once.
But how appallingly maudlin is this?

Why was Mr. Miller’s family crying? Surely not for sadness; there is lots of prestige in the mayoralty, but not for those who stay at home. No, those were tears of joy. David Raymond Miller, 50, was saying that he picks his family over politics. He will be around to go to more of Simon’s soccer games and help him with his homework.
“I get that as a kid of a politician who never saw his father,” Councillor Adam Vaughan (Trinity-Spadina) said after the speech. Mr. Vaughan has two children, aged 11 and five. “I get that as a parent who aches every time bedtime comes around and I’m not with my kids.”

Yes but get me the barfbag. This egotist decided he needed to be mayor at whatever the cost to his family.
Nobody forced him to run for mayor. Let's not get stupidly weepy seeing him welcomingly go away. I am sure he is a nice human being. Likely why I voted for him once.
But this was a particular howler!
“I have accomplished what I set out to do,’’ said the mayor. ‘‘Today, every major policy that was at the foundation of my [2006] campaign has been accomplished or is well underway.”

Even in his second campaign, having NEVER done it in his first tenure, he committed to keeping property tax increases below inflation. He NEVER managed it.
I hope his family is happy to have him. He seems a nice guy. I suspect he won't pay much attention to his job in the next year and that is likely to be good for Toronto. And for his family.
So let us all rejoice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home