Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Apatow Films

I resisted seeing 'The Forty-Year Old Virgin' for a long time despite some recommendations from people I really like and more fool me, but man is this one weird art form.
Dirty talk everywhere, to the point of discomfort for me.  But oddly, and in a very weird way, sweet and deeply social conservative.
'Superbad', 'Knocked Up', 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall'.  I may have missed some and would probably love to see them.  This post was inspired by 'Get Him to the Greek' which has a weird and inconsistent tie to the Sarah Marshall film, and also has Elisabeth Moss!
It is to me strange; I have always loved art where desperately wild messages are delivered in some controlled Appollonian way.
Apatow films are the opposite; you are in Dionysus-land for an hour and a half and at the end realize this is utter social conservatism.  It is a delightfully funny form.
And I will say that the end of 'Get Him to the Greek' moved me quite a bit.  Jonah Hill and Elisabeth Moss are great together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home